The pool can be one of your family’s favorite places and the perfect summertime spot for fun and bonding. While they are a fantastic way to escape the Florida heat and enjoy sunny days together, it’s always important to keep safety in mind.
At Tampa Bay Pools, we love the water and encourage everyone to spend as much time as possible in it, but we also want to make sure people follow smart water safety tips. Here are some of the most important ones to keep in mind:
- While children are in the pool they need your undivided attention. Never, ever leave children alone in the pool at any age.
- The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that an adult who knows how to administer CPR should actively supervise children at all times.
- Children under the age of five should never be more than an arm’s length away from the supervising adult at all times.
- Keep rescue equipment accessible at all times.
- Especially when younger children are present, put up a fence creating a barrier between your home and your pool so children can’t get into the pool area without your knowledge.
- After using the pool, remove any and all pool toys from in and around the pool to avoid the temptation to get in the water.
- Always designate one adult to be the “Water Watcher.” That way there’s no confusion about who’s watching the children. Switch the designated adult as necessary.
- When children are getting too rowdy, calmly remove them from the pool and explain the dangers to them. Don’t let them return to the pool until they have calmed down.
- Don’t confuse air filled swimming aids with life jackets. They are not the same thing.
- Finally, never make assumptions. Just because your child knows how to swim does not mean that he or she is always safe in the water and no longer needs supervision.
Following these water safety tips will help ensure that you have a fun and safe summer in and around the pool. There are also great resources on the PoolSafely.gov website. There’s even the Pool Safely Pledge that your whole family can take to make sure everyone is committed to pool and water safety. We hope you have an awesome summer. Have fun and stay safe!
About Tampa Bay Pools
Tampa Bay Pools is a custom pool builder serving Tampa Bay, Brandon, Clearwater, Riverview, Lithia, Valrico, Odessa, Lutz, Plant City, Davenport, Seffner, and St. Petersburg areas, who understands the importance and value of your own backyard escape. That’s why we build spectacular new inground swimming pools that are easy to maintain.
We offer a wide variety of custom projects including residential or commercial swimming pool building, stunning custom features to customize your pool, outdoor enclosures for your backyard oasis, and custom spas.
Our pools can be designed to fit any style or budget; we even offer swimming pool financing options.